Thursday, August 2, 2012

Adult Reading

I am concerned by the falling rates of reading among teens and adults.  A mantra that is often heard in my house is "Readers are Leaders" and I truly believe it is true.  I have blogged before that I read a lot, and that my children read a lot. My husband is a dialysis patient so he reads undusturbed for 4 hours, 3 times a week, and I would be jealous except for the whole 'blood being siphoned out of your body through a machine' thing.  I see this as an exception rather than the rule however.  Most of my friends and associates do not read much.   Statistics show that adults are reading fewer books all the time.  So the purpose of this blog is to give you 8 reasons why you should shut off your TV, Internet, Video Games, and other entertainment venues and pick up a book.

1. Improve your social competence.  Reading can make you more interesting.  The more you read, the bigger your vocabulary and the better your speech.  Using 50 cent words appropriately makes you look nerdy and nerdy is IN.  You will be more popular at parties!  The ability to discuss the latest best sellers will show those around you that you spend at least some of your spare time doing something other than leveling up on World of Warcraft.  You will be competent in political issues,social issues, agricultural methods and anything else you have been reading about.

2. Self Improvement.  There are a variety of ways that reading improves your brain.  As I mentioned above, you will learn new words.  Reading improves mental function, much like exercise improves physical function.  You will improve your memory, spelling and grammar skills.  Think outside the obvious box for a minute; reading can improve your brain in many other ways.  You can learn new skills from books.  You can learn new ideas from books.  You can learn to better argue and reason about issues from books about those issues.  Reading can help you become a better conversationalist.  By reading a variety of subjects you can speak with confidence about politics, other cultures, other places in the world, history...the list is really only limited by your reading choices.  You can also read self-improvement books to help you overcome bad habits, or shyness, etc..

3. Save money.  Reading is inexpensive entertainment.  Books cost less when you buy them at used bookstores...my favorite place to shop!  Reading to your kids will last longer and cost less than buying or renting a movie.  Reading with your sweetheart is cheaper than going out to a movie, and can be more intimate.  My husband and I will read out loud to each other on long drives, one reads while the other drives.  You can also save money by reading books about money.  You can avoid mistakes by reading financial advice books.  You can learn money saving tips by reading books like "The Tightwad Gazette" and "The Home Energy Diet". 

4. Make more money.  Reading books that pertain to your career makes you more competent.  You can become an expert in your field by reading books and articles.  Your boss or clients will notice your competence, your work will improve, and so will your finances.  It's a theory anyway!

5. Improve your family life.  I already hit on this in #3.  Reading out loud, or reading the same book and discussing it can improve your family relationships.  Reading and discussing your reading is active and interactive, watching TV together is very passive, therefore the opportunities for increased relationship are higher with reading.  I have always read out loud to my kids, magazine articles, internet blogs, the Bible, and books.  Sometimes it is planned but often it is spontaneous.  My children do the same.  It is not uncommon to hear "Hey, listen to this" and something is read and conversation/debate ensues.  Most recent subjects have been; the chic fil-a controversy, legalization of marijuana, and the Churches plan to expand the kitchen.  We have had great discussions around all of them.  It improves our relationships and relationship skills.  For example, my daughter and I disagree on some of those issues,  and it is a good chance to practice being respectful and trying to see an issue from both sides.  Reading fiction fiction together is a great way to build quality family memories as well.  I believe men can learn about their wives by reading women's fiction, and the reverse is also true.  I read a lot of men's fiction, Clive Cussler, Louis L'Amour, and Tom Clancy.  I believe this has helped my relationships with my husband, I understand what interests him and have subjects I can discuss with him.

6. Beat boredom.  If you are bored, pick up a book in a genre you have never read before or haven't read in a while.  Our read about s subject you don't know much about.  Read about a place you have never been or a religion you know little about.  The boredom will be gone.

7.  Reduce stress.  Between the pages of a book lies a mini vacation.  You could also read books about stress reducing techniques or meditation.  Either way, reading can help reduce your stress.  This is the main reason I read before bed, to give my brain a break from the constant stress that it experiences during the day. 

8.  Sleep better.  Now I know I talked about this in #7.  Besides the relaxing properties of a good story their is a biological component to reading inducing better sleep.  Their has been a lot of studies showing that the blue light originating from TV's and other electronic devices disrupting circadian rhythms and causing poor sleep. To your brain blue light means daytime, time to be awake and find food.  Everyone would benefit from an hour or more of quiet reading in a good old fashioned book before bed.  This will prevent the blue light from causing wakefulness and late night snacking.  Of course e-reading devices would be out for this reading time, only a print book will do.

I am sure I could come up with more if I took the time, but these 8 seem to be a pretty good start.
Get reading.

2 comments:

  1. Great list, Jennifer! I can add #9 Improve Your Grammar: Reading is a painless way to improve your grammar! As we read, we absorb grammatical patterns that will make tough decisions about commas much easier. :) Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with professor Knowles. Great list indeed. I know for me, in terms of my career. Most of the books I read outside of my textbooks, for leisure all pertain to the military and all offer me great advice on how to advance my career or just give me something to talk about at command functions!

    ReplyDelete